9/19/13

One And Only

Since April, I've been working from a yellow legal pad list. Today, I write from my heart.


For one magical night in September, this wedding photographer's pumpkin turned into a rustic farm venue hostess carriage.

Who knew the rustic farm wedding business could be so challenging?  Who knew the medical diagnosis that predetermined our path? Who knew the meeting of venue and wedding couple would be the perfect match? 

Someone must have. Someone greater and wiser than any of us. Someone who guided every step and walked amongst us sight unseen and covered us all with grace, healing, strength, and love. 


And so two people fell in love and searched for the perfect place to celebrate the happy occasion of marriage.

Soon after the venue consultation that almost wasn't, two families became four, and then four became 200, enjoying the beautiful weather, the grey buildings, the homestead food, and the wedding blend of solemne vows, celebration and an ultimate dance party. 

After the groom affirmed, this was the best day of his life and foreshadowed teasingly, "Most likely the best wedding here," ... when the {broken} glass was stepped on, and the broom {pushed, not jumped over} ... when the last dance was called, one couldn't tell the difference  between wedding party goodbyes or client and vendor hugs.

I've been to many many many weddings as a photographer, but this day at my one chance as venue hostess, took the cake! Not only did I come to the realization that I'm much happier as a photographer (not that I take credit for any of these photos) but as I waved off the last shuttle bus and turned out the last christmas light, I came to understand this:

I'm a better person by having met  Cheryl and Kanon and their families. I'm a better person for having tried a dream and realized that pictures and words are my passion.  I'm a better person for having put my hand to the plow and not looking back, finsihed the task before me and learned the waiting lessons. I'm a better person for passing the legacy of Psalm 89:1 to another family and blessing our bride and groom with this place and day in time. 





There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends, I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all 





 But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more 










          September 14, 2013                      Kanon and Cheryl                        Remington, Indiana

No comments: